Learn how to address senior transportation challenges and manage services that meet the mobility needs of an aging population.
UMass Boston’s Organizing and Managing Transportation Options for Older People Certificate focuses on addressing senior transportation challenges for older people and managing services that meet the mobility needs of an aging population. It’s designed for professionals in aging services and transportation services who want to hone their skills and add to their résumé. Explore current needs, challenges, and options in transportation services for aging adults and develop strategies to meet their evolving needs. Apply these skills to your work in aging services or transportation services.
Life expectancy exceeds driving expectancy, yet few people plan for a time when they can no longer drive safely. Unfortunately, the same physical and cognitive limitations that make it difficult or impossible for older adults to drive also can make it difficult or impossible for them to access many transportation services. Organizing and managing transportation services that meet the needs of older passengers is a major challenge for communities across America. This certificate program emphasizes specialized transportation services for older passengers as well as public and community transportation services, but also identifies and discusses the needs of older adult passengers.
This certificate is offered in conjunction with the Gerontology Institute, McCormack Graduate School of Policy & Global Studies.
- This program consists of one 14-week course worth 4.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs).
- This is a non-credit program that offers a pass/fail grade.
- Total estimated cost to complete this program is $1,000.
- Other fees may apply. Request Info to connect with a program representative for further details.
September 6 - December 14, 2022
Class No: 1173
Registration ends: September 7, 2022 (8:30 a.m.)
Fall 2022 registration is closed.
- Required text — Kerschner, H., & Silverstein, N. (2018) Introduction to Senior Transportation: Enhancing Community Mobility and Transportation Services, Routledge.
You are also encouraged to sign up for SafetyLit, a free service of the Center for Injury Prevention Policy and Practice at San Diego State University in cooperation with the World Health Organization. Write to email@example.com to be added to that listserv and receive updates on recently published literature.
Through this course, you’ll learn about:
- Senior transportation needs, challenges, and options
- The family of transportation services
- Strategies for meeting the needs of senior passengers
- Volunteer driver programs and volunteer drivers
- Liability and risk management
- The transitions from driving to transportation options
- Supplemental Transportation Programs, why they are important, and why they differ from traditional transportation services
- Models of transportation services and how to provide them to seniors
- How to calculate senior-friendly transportation
- Assessing levels of assistance for seniors and how providers offer support, distinguish between ADA paratransit and STPs
- Designing a Senior Transportation Program
- Risk and Risk Management for Volunteer Driver Programs
- Software for program scheduling and data management
- Developing tools for quantitative and qualitative data collection on passenger satisfaction
- Planning for program sustainability in terms of funding, environment, and community
At the end of this three-month program, you’ll be awarded a professional certificate of completion in Organizing and Managing Transportation Options for Older People and 4.2 Continuing Education Units (CEUs). The certificate will demonstrate your expertise in the field on your résumé, as well as in interviews and workplace evaluations.
This online program is appropriate for professionals in the field of aging services and transportation services interested in addressing senior transportation challenges and managing services that meet the mobility needs of an aging population.
Why UMass Boston Online?
Among the lowest online tuition rates of an accredited, public research university.
Study full-time to finish fast, or part-time to suit your schedule. Live sessions scheduled with the working professional in mind.
The same courses taught by the same academic departments as on campus. No third-party providers.
Get the inside scoop on the program and connect with the people who run it.
Gerontology - Organizing and Managing Transportation Options for Older People Certificate